After Incision & Drainage
If you had an incision and drainage of an infection, general postoperative instructions apply, but we would like to emphasize a few things.
- We recommend that you use warm packs or a heating pad on the outside of your face instead of cold packs if you have an infection.
- You should rinse your mouth with warm salt water frequently. See the general postoperative pamphlet for the dilution instructions.
- Take your antibiotics as prescribed until they are all gone. You may want to want a cup of yogurt every day to minimize the chance of diarrhea.
- You may have a small rubber drain in place to help the infections drain. It is usually held in place with a black silk stitch. This will be removed in a couple of days at your next appointment.
- Apply gently massage to your facial swelling a few times daily as you were instructed. This will help your infection drain and speed your healing.